The Rivanna Rowing Club (RRC) sponsors Coached Programs from mid-May to mid-August.
During the spring and fall off season (“shoulder season”) RRC does not offer formal programs because the UVa women’s and men’s teams are on the water. However, RRC members who meet the requirements in the RRC Handbook can self-organize their own crews, reserve club equipment, and arrange for (paid or volunteer) coxswains.
Shoulder Season Rowing Prerequisites
- Active RRC Membership (fee is waived for those who took 2017 LTR/LTS plus a second 2017 RRC program)
- Execution of the 2017 USRowing Online Release of Liability waiver
- Payment of the Boat Checkout Privileges Fee — required for anyone planning to check out or row with other members in RRC boats
Boat Checkout Privileges Adult
$75Pay via RegattaCentral* Junior (age 13-18) $75Pay via RegattaCentral* * Please login to RegattaCentral with the username used to purchase 2016 Membership or Learn to Row
- Captains Test: all members (adults and juniors), regardless of extent of prior experience, must pass the RRC Captain’s Test to be eligible to check out and use RRC sculling equipment outside of an RRC Coached Program (see RRC Handbook for details). Exceptions:
- Adults: a club double (2x) or four (4+) can include members who have not yet taken the Captain’s Test, as long as the rower in the bow seat and coxswain have had extensive experience and have passed the Captain’s Test. A club quad (4x) requires two members have have extensive experience and have passed the Captain’s Test.
- Juniors: may not row alone. However, they may row in crews with experienced adult members who meet above eligibility requirements. Junior Members may row in 2x’s or 1x’s only if the Junior has passed the RRC Captain’s Test, and only under supervision by experienced adult members or other authorized adult supervision.