The Rivanna Rowing Club (RRC) usually sponsors Coached Programs from mid-May to mid-August.
During the spring and fall off season (“shoulder season”) RRC has had difficulty offering formal programs because the UVa women’s and men’s teams are on the water. There are now two ways to keep rowing. One, RRC members who meet the requirements in the RRC Handbook can self-organize their own crews, reserve club equipment, and arrange for (paid or volunteer) coxswains. Two, our new head coach, Nick D’Imperio is shared with UVA, allowing for more integrated coordination of boat scheduling, and a way to offer a select few programs in the Spring and in the Fall.
“Spring Training” is a 4 week program designed to get rowers back on the water early in the season. Focus will be on renewing technical skills and building fitness levels. Both sculling boats and sweep boats will be used.
Fall Head Race training will be an extension of the Competitive Program, focused on competing in 2-3 head races during the 2018 Fall. Training expectations will be consistent with the summer competitive programs with workouts focused on longer head races. As the Fall progresses, start time on Tuesday/Thursday may shift to 5:30pm for light.
Shoulder Season Rowing Prerequisites
- Active RRC Membership (fee is waived for those who took 2018 LTR/LTS plus a second 2018 RRC program)
- Execution of the 2018 USRowing waiver
- Payment of the Boat Checkout Privileges Fee — required for anyone or any groups planning to check out and row RRC-owned boats
Boat Checkout Privileges Adult
$75 Pay via RegattaCentral* Junior (age 13-18) $75 Pay via RegattaCentral* * Please login to RegattaCentral with the username used to purchase 2018 Membership or Learn to Row
- Captains Test: all members (adults and juniors), regardless of extent of prior experience, must pass the RRC Captain’s Test to be eligible to check out and use RRC sculling equipment outside of an RRC Coached Program (see RRC Handbook for details). Exceptions:
- Adults: a club double (2x) or four (4+) can include members who have not yet taken the Captain’s Test, as long as the rower in the bow seat and coxswain have had extensive experience and have passed the Captain’s Test. A club quad (4x) requires two members have have extensive experience and have passed the Captain’s Test.
- Juniors: may not row alone. However, they may row in crews with experienced adult members who meet above eligibility requirements. Junior Members may row in 2x’s or 1x’s only if the Junior has passed the RRC Captain’s Test, and only under supervision by experienced adult members or other authorized adult supervision.
|Spring Training||Apr 24–May 19, 2018
(4 weeks; 12 rows)
|12||$150 Register via RegattaCentral|
|Fall Head Race Training||Sep 4–Oct 27, 2018
(8 weeks; 24 rows)
|12||$300 Register via RegattaCentral|